It’s no surprise that Plant–based menu options are continuing to trend in 2019, and more than likely, will continue their growth in the upcoming year(s). As the consumer’s mindfulness of health and sustainability increase, so does the search for replacement foods and ingredients. Innova Market Insights recently reported in their article, The Adventurous Consumer, that “one in two US consumers reporting that health is a reason for buying alternatives to meat or dairy.”
With meat and dairy now on the proverbially chopping block, it creates yet another challenge for the professional kitchen. But does it? The quest for healthier food alternatives has also resulted in consumers venturing out of their normal comfort zones, which creates a fantastic opportunity for professional chefs to use new ingredients, introduce multi-cultural cuisines and give old favorites a new twist.
Authentic Panko Pairs Well With Plant-Based Menu Items
Replacing standard breadcrumbs with an Authentic Panko is an excellent solution! An Authentic Panko will meet the demands of consumers and performs perfectly in so many applications, from starters to desserts, an Authentic Panko is ideal for plant-based menu items.
Unlike standard bread crumbs, an Authentic Panko will enhance flavor, add texture and will never overpower your menu items, all while meeting the demands of consumers in their quest for replacement foods/ingredients that are plant-based, dairy free, with clean ingredients free of dyes or artificial flavors and GMO Free.
A truly Authentic Panko is a simple and pure ingredient and a perfect alternative to bread crumbs. Best of all, it can be used in countless applications:
- Adds Better Texture – An Authentic Panko adds texture, enhancing the foods natural flavor. It’s light airy texture is what gives it the ability to absorb 3 times its weight in moisture – making it an excellent binder and mix-in for items like vegetarian burgers, vegetable gratins and as a top coating for pastas, gratins and even fruit cobblers!
- Improves Appearance – Using an Authentic Panko as a breading creates a delicate and delicious crispiness providing fried foods a lighter coating which stays crispy longer, making your coated items look larger, all without an over-breaded and oily appearance (or taste!)
- Customizable Flavor – Panko is flavor neutral, making it perfect for enhancing the natural flavor of the food or enhancing the flavor by creating your own unique spices and flavors. Either way, it’s an excellent choice, without the “bready” flavor commonly associated with standard breadcrumbs.
- Versatility – Authentic Panko is incredibly versatile, from starters to desserts and just about every type of cuisine you can imagine, Panko is an excellent choice to add texture and improve the appearance of any menu item from deep fried veggies to a light crispy topping for Mac n Cheese, and yes, even desserts.
A traditional Authentic Panko is made with a very unique process that creates a very distinctive light and delicate crumb with tiny little air pockets. These tiny little air pockets allow the hot oil in during cooking, and releases the oil after frying – keeping coated foods light and crispy longer than standard breadcrumbs. Only an Authentic Panko that will provide plant-based menu items a light, crispy texture without the oily taste or overly hard texture of a standard breadcrumb.
Not All Panko is Authentic Japanese Panko
Beware of imposter panko! Sounds silly, but it’s true — Not all Panko brands are Authentic Japanese Panko. The difference between Authentic Panko and many standard brands are substantial in appearance and performance. If you’ve experienced a hard and dense Panko, chances are it wasn’t Authentic Panko. Don’t worry, an Authentic Panko is easy to identify visually, look for the following characteristics:
- Large sliver shape crumb (flaky look) – many Panko brands have small round crumbs.
- Light airy texture – some Panko brand have large crumbs but they are very hard and dense.
- Authentic Panko will always be light and airy with a sliver or flaky looking crumb.
Additionally, an Authentic Panko will have a very clean (and short) list of ingredients: high quality flour, yeast, sugar and salt. The traditional Japanese method and process creates a dough with millions of small air pockets, so when the loaves are cooked and ground, each Panko crumb has a very distinctive light delicate crispy texture.
Upper Crust Enterprises has been making Authentic Panko for over 35 years, produced in the USA using USA supplied ingredients. Strictly adhering to traditional Japanese methods, we take the time to do it right – each and every time. The traditional Japanese methods provide a Panko that will give your menu items a light, crispy texture without an oily taste or overly hard texture.
Take a virtual tour of our plant and see how we create our Authentic Panko
The majority of our Panko is sold to Japanese and Asian restaurant chefs worldwide, however, because of our versatility and authentic quality we are becoming increasing popular in a wide range of restaurants, from Italian Bistros to major chain restaurants.
Upper Crust Enterprises authentic Japanese Panko breadcrumbs are All Natural and are certified GMO Free, vegan, Kosher and Halal.
Experience A Truly Authentic Japanese Panko
We personally invite you (Professional Chefs, Restaurants and food distributors only) to try Upper Crust Enterprises Authentic Japanese Panko – FREE.
Experience firsthand the difference an Authentic Japanese Panko will have on your menu items.
We guarantee our Authentic Panko will:
- Taste lighter and crispy.
- Have a delicate crispy texture that stays crispy longer.
- Provides a better yield than standard Panko.
- Deliver a better plate presentation making coating items look bigger but not taste bready.
Upper Crust Enterprises Authentic Japanese Panko breadcrumbs are available exclusively to Professional Chefs, Restaurants (large or small) and Food Distributors.