Two of the most asked questions we receive are “How is Panko made?” and “What makes them different than standard breadcrumbs?”
Both are breadcrumbs, but that’s where the similarities end. What separates Panko breadcrumbs from standard breadcrumbs is how they’re made, texture and performance (versatility).
Creating Panko Breadcrumbs Compared to Standard Breadcrumbs
Panko breadcrumbs are made from bread baked using an electrical current, shocking right? Okay, maybe not shocking, but it is a very unique method developed during World War II out of a necessity to cook bread without access to an oven. It’s an ingenious process resulting in a loaf of bread without a crust.
Authentic Panko will start with blending dough using a very short list of ingredients (flour, sugar, shortening, yeast, salt), which is then allowed to rise several times until it achieves the right texture and strength. Each loaf is baked in a specially designed oven, which uses electric current instead of heat, creating a crustless loaf of bread with millions of tiny little air pockets. The bread is then carefully staled and ground creating a light and delicate, sliver shaped breadcrumbs.
Most standard breadcrumbs are made using day-old and even expired bread from grocery stores. The core ingredient, bread, may be from multiple bread manufacturers with a wide range of ingredients plus many allergens.
How the breadcrumbs are made and the ingredients used determine the shape, size, texture and taste of the crumb. All of which effect how the breadcrumb performs.
Some key differences and how it will effect your menu items are:
• Authentic Panko has a light and delicate sliver shape crumb, the sliver shape provides better highlights making the coated product look bigger and has a more appetizing plate appeal.
• Standard breadcrumbs are dense round and can get soft fairly rapidly. Which can also rapidly breakdown fry oil.
• Authentic Panko has a light airy texture, which provides a lighter and crispier taste.
• Standard breadcrumbs have a hard dense texture making food taste overcooked or over breaded.
Less Oily Taste:
• Each Authentic Panko crumb has tiny little air pockets (giving it the airy texture) so when frying, hot oil goes into the air pocket and browns the crumb, but when pulled out of the fryer, the hot oil drains out. Providing your menu item a great light crispy coating without a greasy taste.
• Standard breadcrumbs don’t release the oil as easily, which can create a coating that is heavy and greasy tasting.
• Authentic Panko breadcrumbs are flavor neutral, eliminating a “bready” flavor, making it very versatile for almost any menu because it will not alter the foods flavor.
• Standard breadcrumbs can sometimes be too flavorful, obscuring the food they coat.
Authentic Panko is light and airy, it provides a 50% + better yield vs. standard breadcrumbs. Since breadcrumbs are purchased by the pound, but used by volume, the airy larger crumb of Authentic Panko goes further.
Not All Panko is Created Equal or Authentic
Not all Panko is created using the traditional and authentic Japanese methods. If the Panko you’re using is round, dense and hard, it isn’t an Authentic Panko. Don’t settle for a low performing breadcrumb – insist on Upper Crust Enterprises Authentic Panko. We take great pride in making our Authentic Japanese Panko breadcrumbs right each and every time.
We Guarantee Upper Crust Enterprises Authentic Japanese Breadcrumbs will:
- Taste lighter and crispy.
- Have a delicate crispy texture that stays crispy longer.
- Provides a better yield than standard Panko.
- Deliver a better plate presentation making coating items look bigger but not taste bready.
Exclusively for Professional Chef and Food Distributors
We invite all professional chefs and food distributors to try a free sample of our Authentic Japanese Panko. Compare and experience the differences first hand.
Our simple and clean ingredients is just one of the many things that sets us apart from our competitors. Using only the traditional ingredients, no additives, dough conditioner or preservatives. All of our products are certified GMO Free, Vegan, Kosher and Halal, a perfect choice for any professional kitchen.
They say “A picture is worth a thousand words” – what would you rather use?
Upper Crust Enterprises
Upper Crust Enterprises has been producing Authentic Panko for Japanese restaurants and many other types restaurants across the globe for more than three decades. Strictly keeping to the traditional Japanese methods and taking the time to do it right, each and every time, is what makes our product a pure Authentic Panko.
Thanks for your explanation.
Thanks for your explanation.
Thank you for your comments and I am glad you found the article interesting.
Thank you for your comments and I hope some of our other articles/posts are helpful.
SHOCKING! Never knew bread was made with electric current.
We are so glad you enjoyed the post! Please keep in mind, not all bread is made using electricity, however, a true Authentic Panko is always made using this technique and it’s how we produce a perfect loaf of crustless bread.